Valorant Agent list: Abilities, ultimates and more of each characterSporting News — (Joe Rivera)
Agents, take your marks.
With Valorant hitting computers this summer, the game launched with 11 playable characters (called "Agents") from which to choose. But keep in mind: The team over at Riot Games is working to expand the game effectively and ASAP, meaning that more agents are coming to the fold soon. The most recent Agent to hit the game is Killjoy, added into Act 2 of Valorant's lifespan.
If some of these characters seem familiar, you're not the only one who thinks it. While the gameplay takes cues from Overwatch and Counterstrike, some of these characters also likely draw inspiration from games like Rainbow Six: Siege in the way their abilities are used.
So, if you're a veteran of some of these first-person shooter games, then chances are some of these characters might seem and play familiar to you — very familiar.
Here's what you need to know about all the known characters so far in this game, last updated for Act 2 (Aug. 4 update):
As with a lot of different FPS games, there are four different classes in "Valorant:" Duelist, Initiator, Sentinel and Controllers.
- Duelists are the ones who push forward into conflicts with the enemy team. Think of them as attackers.
- Initiators focus on gathering intel and help the team push.
- Sentinels are defenders, usually playing the back line of a team.
- Controllers are good at blocking off sight lines and generally offer support to the team.
Valorant character abilities
Each character in "Valorant" has four abilities: one main ability that comes with the Agent, the ultimate maneuver which is charged up over time and two more abilities that you can purchase during the pre-round buy period.
A decent amount of these abilities are meant to slow and obscure the enemy team from advancing. A lot of them are also area of effect (AOE) attacks, which damage or affect opponents within a selected radius.
As with "Overwatch," an Agent's ultimate ability will be charged over time and can be accelerated upon subduing opponents. You can also pick up orbs throughout the map which will aid the charging of the ultimate.
Here's what you need to know about each Agent and their special abilities.
Valorant Agent list
- Sky Smoke: You can select one or multiple points on a map that drops a smoke grenade that obscures vision.
- Orbital Strike (ultimate): Select an area on the map and a laser damages all inside the blast radius.
- Stim Beacon (optional): An AOE combat stim which increases fire rate. Both teammates and enemies alike can use this.
- Incendiary (optional): A grenade launcher that fires off an incendiary round.
- Paint Shells: Throws a cluster grenade. Explodes and deals damage.
- Showstopper (ultimate): Uses a rocket launcher that deals damage over a large area.
- Boom Bot (optional): Walks across the floor and later explodes, dealing damage to enemies.
- Blast Pack (optional): Throws like Semtex grenades or C4. Can be triggered.
- Spycam: Throws a camera down that can signal where opponents are.
- Neural Theft (ultimate): Throws down a device on dead opponents that can show where the enemy team is.
- Trapwire (optional): A tripwire that slows enemies and reveals their location — invisible to enemy eyes.
- Cyber Cage (optional): Drops an AOE screen that slows opponents, obscures vision and is signaled by an audio cue.
- Tailwind: Dash in the direction you're moving.
- Bladestorm (ultimate): Get several knives that you can throw at opponents — recharges as you get kills.
- Cloudburst (optional): Throw a projectile that will throw a vision-blocking cloud.
- Updraft (optional): You can float up to otherwise-unreachable heights and float around.
- Dark Cover: Fires down an orb that obscures vision; can be deployed in "phaser" mode or normal mode.
- From the Shadows (ultimate): Can teleport to any point on the map. Can be interrupted by the enemy team, and can be canceled mid-teleport.
- Shrouded Step (optional): Can teleport to a marked location.
- Paranoia (optional): Fires a throwable that can go through walls and blind opponents.
- Fault line: Chargeable attack that can stun players within the zone of effect.
- Rolling Thunder (ultimate): Fires an AOE attack that stuns opponents and knocks them in the air, but doesn't damage them.
- Aftershock (optional): Fires a charge through the wall, but takes a moment to charge.
- Flashpoint (optional): Fires a blinding charge through walls, but takes a moment to charge.
- Toxic Screen: Fire out a wall of poison smoke.
- Viper's Pit (ultimate): Creates a large expanding sphere of poison around you.
- Snake Bite (optional): Fires down a pool of poison that damages opponents.
- Poison Cloud (optional): Throws down a cloud of poison gas that can be activated later.
- Hot hands: Creates a fire zone that damages enemies.
- Run it Back (ultimate): Places a marker on the ground that you can teleport back to.
- Blaze (optional): Creates a flame wall that deals damage and obscures vision.
- Curveball (optional): Essentially a controllable flash grenade. It blinds both enemies and teammates.
- Healing Orb: Fire this at an ally to heal them. Not instant, but heals over time.
- Resurrection (ultimate): Can resurrect teammates.
- Barrier Orb (optional): Places a solid wall.
- Slow Orb (optional): AOE ability that slows opponents.
- Recon Bolt: Fires a tracking arrow that reveals player locations within a certain area.
- Hunter's Fury (ultimate): Fires three shots that can pierce walls and damages opponents.
- Owl Drone (optional): Flies a recon drone and can shoot enemies with a fire arrow.
- Shock Bolt (optional): Hits enemies with a shock arrow that can bounce off of walls.
- Dismiss: Devours a nearby soul orb to become intangible. If her ultimate is active, she can also become invisible.
- Empress (ultimate): Increases fire rate, equip speed, reload speed and adds infinite soul-harvesting abilities
- Leer (optional): A throwable that causes "nearsight" on opponents, limiting their view.
- Devour (optional): Can devour a soul orb, healing herself. Also can overheal, but is time sensitive.
- Turret: Fires at enemies within its 180-degree cone of vision.
- Lockdown (Ultimate): Places down a trap that detains all enemies for eight seconds. Slows enemies who are caught within the ability.
- Alarmbot (optional): A bot that damages an opponent when it enters its AOE, and leaves opponents open for double damage.
- Nanoswarm (option): Throw a grenade that does a lot of damage within a relatively large AOE.